What is Meals for Mountaineers?
To support the diverse needs of the Appalachian Community during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the University offered the following options for meal service during the 2020 Winter Break:
Meals for Mountaineers
Free, chef-inspired meals to provide nutrition for students, faculty, and staff in need who remained in our community during Winter Break. Anyone can pick up a hot lunch along with a prepared dinner and breakfast for the next day.
Weekender and Celebration Boxes to Go
Participants also had the opportunity to select the Weekender/Celebration Box which includes ingredients for 3 meals per day for individuals or up to 4 people. Boxes featured fresh produce from Appalachian State Blackburn Vannoy Teaching and Research Farm and recipes from Campus Dining chefs.
By the numbers:
Over 15,000 meals served
Almost 1800 people served
Approximately 800 hours worked
The Meals for Mountaineers program was funded by the generous donations of our Mountaineer Community. To our alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends, we thank you for your support. Additionally, we would like to thank our corporate and university partners. Your time and financial investment in this program elevated our impact on our community.
- Boone High Country Rentals - Peak of Boone
- First Horizon Bank
- Harris Teeter
- Stick Boy Bread Co
- US Foods
- App State Alumni Affairs
- App State's Division of Student Affairs
- App State's Division of University Advancement
- App State's Office of Sustainability
- App State's Sustainable Development Teaching & Research Farm
- App State's Student Government Association
Our sincerest thanks to these partners for their contributions to the success of Meals for Mountaineers.
The success of this program has shown the great need in our community for nutrition-related resources. To continue to support our community, we have compiled a list of resources that may be helpful to you.
Mountaineer Food Hub - East Hall Basement
Belk Library Food Pantry - Belk Library 2nd Floor
Garwood Hall Food Pantry - Garwood Hall 2nd Floor
DD Dougherty Food Pantry - College Access
College of Education Food Pantry - RCOE James Center (closed for the semester)
- Hospitality House of the Boone Area, Inc - 338 Brook Hollow Road, Boone
- Hunger and Health Coalition - 141 Health Center Drive, Boone
- Watauga County Department of Social Services - 132 Poplar Grove Connector, Suite C, Boone